Source: Off-Grid Solar Market Trends Report 2016 (108-pg PDF)
"The report tracks the groundbreaking technological advances and innovative business models which have emerged to transform the lives of millions through affordable modern solar energy services; and provides a comprehensive view of the state of one of the most impactful sectors in the global economy today.
• 1.2 billion people without access to the power grid
• $27 billion spent annually on lighting and mobile-phone charging technologies
• 89 million people in Africa and Asia with improved access to energy by using off-grid solar products
• $276 million invested in the off-grid solar industry in 2015, a 15-fold increase since 2012
• $3.1 billion market opportunity for the off-grid solar industry by 2020, reaching 99 million households"