Thursday, December 14, 2023
- : This is listed as being based on IBM Watson Health Top 15 Health Systems Study. Further search on (Watson Health had been divested by IBM in 2022 and spun-off to a private equity firm, Francisco Partners, that renamed the company Merative) indicated that the measures used here included: risk-adjusted inpatient mortality, risk-adjusted complications, healthcare associated infections, 30-day mortality, 30-day readmissions, severity-adjusted length of stay, Medicare spending per beneficiary, adjusted inpatient expense per discharge, and overall HCAHPS patient rating.
- : Here they used S&P bond rating as a proxy.
- the Healthcare Anchor Network (" "), supplier diversity data to the HAN, and the HAN Purchasing Impact Commitment. A set of laudable goals no doubt, but not really any measurable results to demonstrate leadership in any ESG areas of focus! : This was measured by the organization to
- : 30% each from a 'Gartner analyst panel' and a 'Peer panel.'
Tuesday, December 12, 2023
One's chronological age is how long one has been alive, while one's biological age is the age of your cells and systems based on physiological information. The two ages may be the same or they may also differ, sometimes significantly. Your biological age is effected by your genetics and by environmental factors such as stress, exercise, diet, sleep, and other factors. Biological age is a better predictor of possible disease and death than chronological age.
Biological age determination is now readily available, so I decided to give it a try when I first read about it almost four year ago. Here are some good introductory articles on biological testing, focused on Elysium Health's process:
Elysium Health's Index ($299): (link)
When you place an order online they send you a kit that you can use to return a saliva sample. Elysium then extracts your DNA and analyzes DNA methylation across your genome to calculate your overall biological age. They now also determine the biological age of various systems in the body (brain, liver, metabolic, immune, hormone, kidney, heart, inflammation, and blood), and also provide science-based lifestyle recommendations.
I first did Elysium's Index Jan 2020, followed by repeating testing in July 2022 and September 2023. As you can see the results were internally consistent over the years, with my biological age running at approximately 90% of my chronological age. Initially Elysium only provided the overall biological age; however, they subsequently refined their process and began to also provide the biological age at a system level. Previously I had felt pretty satisfied with my results since I appeared "younger" than my chronological age; however, when I received the additional detail I was taken aback that the picture wasn't that positive, especially the 'brain' result!
My state of mind wasn't helped by running across this article, 'Higher Biological Age May increase Stroke and Dementia Risk' which found:
Tuesday, October 17, 2023
Friday, October 13, 2023
P.S. Note, with Haven their reach would have been 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫.
Thursday, October 12, 2023
How concerned should I be about the 'brain' score? Well, enough that I've decided to do more of a few of the recommended follow-up actions:
- Greatly increase my activity and exercise levels!
- Try to improve my sleep - levels and quality
- Learn something new - I've signed up with Babbel to learn a new language.